Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Where does the quest end?


What if there’s an emergency? What if someone needs to reach me right away? All these questions came up the day my mobile phone remained switched off. I had not taken the battery discharge warning so seriously. My mobile-phone free life hardly lasted a few minutes but it left a big impact. The way I  look at technology has permanently changed since than, as should yours.

Mobile phones have become an integral part of our life. Life without one can’t be imagined. How many of your remember the days when we had a small diary with everyone’s name, address and telephone number written down. I had rectangular one with a silver cover which I carried with me for many years. Those were the days when electronics gadgets were not needed to remember phone numbers, addresses, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Life was so simple.

I remember the first mobile I saw; a big walky talky with a dangerous protruding antenna. While we were very excited to see it, the owner of the mobile was thrilled to see others gaping at his new gadget. If the phone rang he would speak as loud as he could, not bothered if others were disturbed.

The pager or the so called text messaging service had a very short life span. I got connected to the world of mobiles when my brother bought a mobile. How I used to wait for him to get back from office and then I would pounce on the mobile make secret calls to friends, excitedly learn its features and experience a great sense of satisfaction. That was the era when mobile phones had very few features, but it was a different world.

My first mobile phone was gifted to me by my husband. It was just a base model manufactured by Motorola. Holding the brand new gadget in hand I thought I had everything in life. Dialing numbers....desperately waiting that somebody would call me.....sending a sms for no reason....it was all very exciting. And just like me I guess many must have had these basic models.

Trying to catch up with technology and trends I bought a new mobile, but I kept my Motorola phone back in the box where it remained till my son used it as a toy. Now it is nowhere to be seen and sometimes I really miss it.

My new phone with its camera and lovely music was everything to me. I enjoyed having it and thought to myself that my search for mobile phones has ended here. But things are not what they seem, and one fine day I came across a phone with touch screen and it just grabbed my attention. It was a Chinese make, black with silver lining, a sliding phone, What a cute little gadget. It just fit in my palm.

At home I thought my multimedia phone was giving me problems.........my fingers experienced a lot of pain pressing the numbers. Finally in sympathy to the pain my fingers were going through I bought the new mobile. I thought I was wrong in thinking that the multimedia model was the best .....this was  indeed the best and I took as much care of it as I did of my family.

Then suddenly Android phones came along. There were so many stories going around about the phones. I was dying for a better understating of the technology. My husband bought a new android phone and it had everything.

Now my Chinese phone looked like it belonged to the Shivaji Maharaj era. The only option left was to buy an android phone. One fine sunny day the phone arrived; 4.5 inch touch screen, 5mp camera, so many apps, document editor, email, GPRS, Google maps, FM Radio, browser. I am using the phone right now.

As we all know technology keeps evolving. But somewhere in the bargain we complicate our life and then struggle to make it simpler. Go out. Play with your kids, grandkids, nephews and nieces. Hike, bike or run, Read or demonstrate. Dance Write.


No comments:

Post a Comment